Friday 6 January 2012

Dividends Progress Report: Beginning of the Year


2012 marks the first full calender year that I've become obsessed with personal finance. I started in late May last year and it has quickly become one of my pastimes. Since it's the beginning of the year, I thought it would be nice to see where I'm at in terms of dividends distribution right now and how far along I'll be when next December rolls around. I'll have monthly updates like the budgets to help keep track and hopefully I end up like Scrooge McDuck... the wealthy part... not the duck part.

On track for an annual dividends return of - $1375.35
Total yield of portfolio - 5.36%
Actual dividends received - $0
Expected dividends return if the current positions are held for 1 year - $1375.35

The difference between the first number and the fourth number is that as the year progresses and I add positions to my portfolio, I'll naturally be missing some distributions. The first number will show how much I expect to get at the end of the calender year while the fourth number shows how much I would have got if I had my positions since the beginning of the year. Having the two numbers will show how much of an impact time has on investing. As I collect more data, I'll start plotting a graph to help visualize my progress.

-the Paperboy

No comments:

Post a Comment