Friday 23 March 2012

Dividend Progress Report: February 2012 Edition


Not much has happened since January in terms of positions... by not much I mean nothing happened at all. However, some companies took it upon themselves to help me reach my goals of getting $2000 in dividend by the end of the year (I just went back and read the past dividend progress reports and I realize that I didn't put a goal - and that's no fun right? So I'm hoping to reach $2000, I may not receive $2000 by the end of the year, but I want to get to the point where if I just held my positions for a full year without doing anything, I would receive $2000).

Total yield of portfolio - 4.88% (- 0.48%)
Actual dividends received - $234.78 (+ $122.70)
Expected dividends return if the current positions are held for 1 year - $1235.67 (-$139.68)

I took out the first number which showed how much I would be on track to get. Frankly, it's too tedious to calculate. However, I'll will be adding in a nice little graph to help visualize where I'm headed:

Progressive Waste Solutions gave me a hand when the company raised it's dividends 12%, while I had to take a cut from Canfor. The government bonds ETF I'm holding (CLF.TO) has a lower yield as well; this isn't that surprising because of the low rate environment we're currently in. Also I realize that I forgot to take the dividend hike from Corus Entertainment in January into consideration for that report, but it's been taken into account for this one. Maybe I'll see some attractive valuations soon and start buying more stock but for now, I'll need some help from the companies that I already own in order to reach $2000 by the end of the year.

Here's a nice visual I whipped up:


For the month of February I received $99.90 in dividends. This is lower than last month because my positions pay out on different months. I can't wait to see how my first full year of investing goes.

-the Paperboy

No comments:

Post a Comment